How to Delete or Deactivate Instagram Account (on Android and iPhone) – 2023
Wanna take a break from Instagram?
As every beginning also comes to an end, sometimes social networks can bore us and we forget that we have a registered account until we decide to delete it or deactivate it completely.
However, you may want to end it because you are concerned about your security or simply because you no longer use it. Whatever your case, it is possible to delete your Instagram account in a very simple way.
Today, we are going to explain how to deactivate your Instagram account temporarily or permanently and how to delete your Instagram account permanently.
Therefore, you must be completely sure that you prefer to delete the account instead of temporarily deactivating it. So we will learn step by step how to deactivate an Instagram account permanently or temporarily.
So let’s know how to delete your Instagram account permanently or temporally.
How to Deactivate your Instagram account on an iPhone
Deactivating an Instagram account on an iPhone is different from android. To deactivate your Instagram account on an iPhone, you can follow these steps:
- Simply open the Instagram app on your iPhone.
- Tap on your profile icon in the bottom right corner.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the top right corner to open the menu.
- Next, click on “Settings”.
- Tap on “Account”.
- Scroll down and tap on “Delete Your Account”.
- On the next page, you will see two options, first “Deactivate account” and the second is “Delete account”. Now click on deactivate account.
- Select a reason for deactivating your account from the dropdown menu.
- Enter your password to confirm that you want to delete your account.
- And lastly, tap on “Temporarily Deactivate Account”.
Once you complete these steps, your Instagram account will be deactivated. Keep in mind that deactivating your account is not the same as deleting it permanently. If you want to reactivate your account in the future, you can log back in with your username and password.
How to Delete an Instagram account on an iPhone
Here are the steps to delete an Instagram account on an iPhone:
- Open the Instagram app on your iPhone.
- Go to your profile by tapping on the profile icon in the bottom right corner.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the top right corner to open the menu.
- Now go to “Settings” from the bottom of the menu.
- Scroll down and click on “Account”.
- Scroll down and click on Delete account.
- On the next page, you will see two options, first “Deactivate account” and the second is “Delete account”. Now click on delete account.
- Now select a reason for deleting your Instagram account (select something else as a reason if you don’t have any reason).
- And enter your password and click on Delete [USERNAME].
Your Instagram account will be deleted within a few hours. Keep in mind that this process is permanent and once you delete your account, your profile, photos, videos, comments, likes, and followers will be permanently removed and cannot be restored. You won’t be able to recover your account or any of the data associated with your Instagram account once deleted.
Also, someone else can use your username once your account is deleted.
Deactivate an Instagram Account Temporarily on an Android
- Step 1: First, Log in to your Instagram account through any browser (Do not use the app).
- Step 2: Now go to your profile and click on edit profile and scroll down until you see the Temporarily disable my account option.
- Step 3: On the next page you need to enter your password and the reason why you are disabling your Instagram account. Once done, all you have to do is click on the Temporarily disable the account button.
- Step 4: Now all done. Your photos, comments, and likes will be hidden until you decide to reactivate your account. When you log in to your account again, it will be reactivated automatically.
Your Instagram account will now be deactivated. Note that deactivating your account is not the same as deleting it, and you can reactivate your account at any time by logging back in with your username and password.
Deactivate or Delete an Instagram Account Permanently on an Android
- Log in to your Instagram account from any browser, again no need for an Instagram app.
- Now go to permanently delete your Instagram account page. Here is the link to go: www.instagram.com/accounts/remove/request/permanent/.
- On this page, you need to enter the reason for leaving Instagram and the password of your account. Depending on the answer, Instagram will offer you an alternative solution in case it can convince you to stay.
- Now simply click on the permanently delete your account button.
Your account will be permanently deleted, and you will no longer have access to it. Please note that this action cannot be undone, and once your account is deleted, all your data, including photos, videos, and followers, will be lost.
FAQs on Deactivating or Deleting Instagram account
Can I deactivate or delete my Instagram account from the mobile app?
You can’t delete your account from the Instagram app, so you’ll need to log in to instagram.com from a web browser on your desktop or mobile device to follow the process of deactivating or deleting an Instagram account.
How can I download my data before deleting my Instagram account?
There are several ways to download Instagram photos and all data before deleting the account, but here is the easiest method:
1. Go to Instagram and log in through the app or PC.
2. Go to your profile, choose the hamburger icon and click on Settings.
3. Simply search “Download Data” which is usually under Security, but you can also use the search box.
4. Within Download Data, you will see a “Request Download” button.
Hit that button to download all your Instagram data before deleting your account.
What things to keep in mind while taking a break from social media?
If you’re considering taking a break from social media, there are a few things to keep in mind:
1. Decide on the length of your break: Determine how long you want to take a break from social media. Is it a few days, weeks, or months?
2. Inform your friends: Let your close friends and family members know that you’ll be taking a break from social media. This will help avoid any confusion or concern about why you’re not posting or engaging with them.
3. Delete social media apps: Consider deleting social media apps from your phone or logging out of them on your computer to help reduce the temptation to check them.
4. Find alternative activities: Use your free time to do something you enjoy, like reading a book, going for a walk, or spending time with friends and family.
5. Reflect on your relationship with social media: Use your break as an opportunity to reflect on your relationship with social media. Consider the positive and negative impacts it has on your life, and think about how you can use it in a way that’s healthy and balanced.
Remember, taking a break from social media is a personal choice, and it’s important to do what’s best for you.
Hey Vishal ,
Awesome post with fabulous work. I truly appreciate your hard works.
Glad to say that you have suggested effective & genuine ways to delete instagram account permanently from app. You have introduced each steps in an impressive way along with helpful images that true enough to understand and providing better understanding. Following the steps will be a great helping hand for insta-users and will undoubtedly helps them in deleting their insta-account.
I completely agree with your words that by deleting an insta-account our profile, photos, comments, videos, followers & likes will also be deleted permanently. And it is also true that password is required during deleting & disabling process. And lastly i want to say that your included video is also very helpful.
As this post is very useful especially for those who are willing to delete their insta-account.
Eventually thanks for sharing your knowledge, ideas and such a fantastic post.